Grub Problem (?) Installing FC4 dual boot with Win2K

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Aug 5 21:56:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 16:24 -0500, Bill Bernauer wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>     I have run into a problem being able to boot to FC4 after installing
> it on a dual boot system with Win 2K. The system has 2 IDE hard drives,
> a WD 80G (not sure which model #, I'm at work now) setup as master, and
> a Maxtor 60G as the slave. Both drives have functioned fine before. The
> install goes fine ( no error messages, etc), and indicates that it is
> installing grub in the MBR of hda, which is the drive that has win 2k
> installed. Install correctly picks up that win 2k is also installed on
> the system. However, when I attempt to boot, grub never comes up - it
> goes straight to win. If I go into the bios and tell it to boot from
> HHD-1 (hdb), it will boot to grub, but then it is unable to launch
> either os. It appears that grub is being installed on the second hd
> instead of the first, but it thinks it's on the first. If I go back and
> run the install again after this as an upgrade, it tells me it can't
> find the boot loader and that it is installing grub to the mbr of hda.
> But it still doesn't work. I'm looking for ideas on what to do next.
>
>     I've jsut joined this list, so sorry if this is discussed elsewhere.
> I looked through the archives, but I didn't read all of them!
>
>     I would really prefer to get this working with the two drives rather
> than having to go back and re-install both on the same HD. But I need to
> get them working, so I'll do whatever I need to.

I wonder if your machine has the drives jumpered to master/slave with a
cable-select cable?

This sounds like the system is getting confused about the location of
hda at the time when it is installing grub. (Grub should not have been
installed on hdb.)

1) Check the drives jumper settings and if these drives are on a
cable-select cable I suggest they both be jumpered for cable-select.  If
not on a cable-select cable they both should be properly jumpered as
master/slave.
   You will need to fix whatever is confusing the install that loads
grub on the wrong disk before you do step 2.

2) Boot to linux rescue mode and reinstall grub on hda
   a. boot from install disk and enter "linux rescue" at the boot:
prompt
   b. the message when it finishes booting should tell you the system is
mounted at /mnt/sysimage and tell you about the chroot command.
      Enter "chroot /mnt/sysimage" to access the installed system.
   c. verify the content of /boot/grub/device.map
and /boot/grub/grub.conf
   d. run "grub-install /dev/hda"
   e. Reboot

If everything works correctly it should boot using grub.