Silly Question - New Login

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Aug 6 14:08:21 UTC 2005

Berna Massingill wrote:

>>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>>

>[ snip ]

>>> Applications --> System tools -->> New Login
>>>
>>> This will let you open different users for different consoles. There are
>>> items like sound that don't work wel on the new login, but it is handy
>>> for running KDE or XFCE in one console and Gnome in the other.
>>>

>The command-line version of this (for those who are into such things)
>might be  "X :1 -query <machinename> -once".
>
>I say "might be" because I just tried this on my newly-installed FC4
>system, and got (1) a blank screen with a little X in the middle,
>and (2) error messages when I went back to the original screen
>(with control-alt-F7).  I also tried it from a text console, with
>the same result.
>
>So I tried your GNOME-GUI way, described above, and that didn't work
>either, though the symptoms were slightly different -- blank screen with
>a cursor at the top, very similar to what was happening with the text
>consoles before I applied the "copy libvgahw.a from an FC3 system"
>fix discussed recently in this list.
>
>Hm.  Anyone know what's wrong?  This can be a useful thing to have.
>
>(Possibly the problem with my command-line way is that I don't know how
>to properly specify <machinename>, and/or there are firewall issues.
>I've tried "localhost" to start another session on the same machine,
>without success.  I've also tried the name of a remote host to which I
>*should* have access through its firewall (I can connect via "ssh"),
>but also without success.  When I've done this before, the remote
>machine and mine were both part of a local network, so there were no
>firewall issues.)
>
>-- blm

The properties in the command is the command "gdmflexiserver" on my
computer. I ran this from the commandline and it brought up another
screen for login on F8 While there was still a session on F7. This seems
to be a function from gdm login manager.

Jim

--
I did it just to piss you off.  :-P
        -- Branden Robinson in a message to debian-devel