problems manually setting up wpa_supplicant

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Sat Aug 6 18:54:44 UTC 2005

     Doh! I figured out the problem. The changes I copied from
http://www.cybcon.com/~coert/linux/siso/ap-scripts-madwifi.html
referenced wpa_supplicant as being in /usr/local/sbin rather than
/usr/sbin and the wpa_supplicant.conf file as being in /etc/sysconfig
rather than /etc. Once I fixed those the wlan0 connection was
automatically made. I am still seeing one non-fatal error during the
execution of the ifup-wireless script in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts...

Bringing up interface wlan0:  Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    invalid argument "wireless_password".

Any one know if that can be suppressed and how? I am a little confused
on the relationship between wpa_supplicant and iwconfig. My current
ifup-wireless executes wpa_supplicant at the tail end after all the
iwconfig calls. So I am guessing iwconfig is trying to use the KEY from
keys-wlan0 on its own instead of waiting for wpa_supplicant. FYI, I didn't
create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-wlan0. It seemed to have been
autocreated somehow.
                        Jack
ps Will FC5 have wpa_supplicant integrated into the initscripts?