setting up passwordless ssh connections

T. Horsnell tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 7 18:32:43 UTC 2005

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to setup passwordless ssh connections
>
>so far i have
>1) created rsa private/public keys
>2) copied the public key (id_rsa.pub) to the machine i
>want to connect to and renamed it authorized_keys in
>the .ssh dir
>
>when i try to connect it still asks me for the
>password
>
>ssh -v tells me a few things -
>
>Next authentication method: publickey
> * that's good*
>debug1: Trying private key:
>/home/username/.ssh/identity
>debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
>
>*wonderfull! it is reading the client side private
>key*
>
>then.........
>debug1: Authentications that can continue:
>publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
>debug1: Offering public key:
>/home/username/.ssh/id_rsa
>debug1: Authentications that can continue:
>publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
>debug1: Offering public key:
>/home/username/.ssh/id_dsa
>
>then it goes to password :(
>
>it never looks for the authorized_key file. i have
>even place id_rsa in my .ssh dir on the server and
>even renamed id_rsa.pub to id_rsa on the server but
>nothing helps.
>
>so I looked at the server config and changed from the
>FC defaults to
>
>PubkeyAuthentication yes
>AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys
>
>interesting enough when sshd was restarted from the
>init.d script it did not kick any existing users off
>the server. shouldn't it have broken the connection
>amybe a need to do a full stop and start for
>sshd_config to be re-loaded ?
>
>permissions are 0600 on authorized_keys
>
>what am i doing wrong ?

I think the permission 0600 on authorized_keys is correct.
Try setting the permissions on $HOME/.ssh to 700 as well.

To see more what's going on, if you have control of the
machine you are trying to log in to, stop sshd and start
it manually with -dd -e options set: /usr/sbin/sshd -dd -e
(see man sshd). You should then get a bunch of diagnostics
sent to the server terminal when you try to ssh from your client.

Cheers,
Terry.