Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Aug 7 19:27:43 UTC 2005

On Sun August 7 2005 3:19 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Nice idea Claude, but can you tell us how to tell the difference
> between the cables so that we can properly identify them?

Sure. The cs cables are always marked. Look near the connectors. Different
manufactures will use different terms, but there will nearly always be a
clear set of markings (like HD0, HD1), printed on the cable  near the
connector, or rarely, on the connector itself. I have encountered cables used
by OEM's in cheap systems in the past, that were cs, but did not have any
indication. That's why I qualified my 'always marked' statement by 'nearly
always' one sentence later. In the past several years, I only encountered
that once.

So: if you're building a system, if the cable has no markings on or near the
connectors, jumper your devices master/slave. If you see markings that
intuitively denote 'device1/device2', then try the cs jumpering first. And,
always double check yourself - maybe it's just me, but, I get wrapped in the
details, especially when I start parts-swapping to troubleshoot, and have
been burned by bad jumpering more than once. Several times, in the throes of
intense concentration, I've left a device jumpered master or slave, and the
other jumpered cs - and that will sometimes work, but, it can lead to strange
problems down the road that are very hard to diagnose.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA