Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Aug 7 22:12:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 15:53 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 3:19 PM -0400 8/7/05, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> >Nice idea Claude, but can you tell us how to tell the difference
> >between the cables so that we can properly identify them?
>
> Just google on "cable select" (with the quotes) and you'll find that a
> Cable Select cable has pin 28 connected to a ground wire at one device
> connector (master) and not connected at the other (slave); normally this is
> done by punching out a little bit of wire 28 (on a 40 wire cable) just past
> the middle connector, so you'll see a little hole in the cable.  You'd also
> find that, as normally a single device should be at the end of the cable
> (slave) and a single device should be master, so using a Cable Select cable
> with only one device is, umm, problematical.

Every CS cable I have ever seen has the master at the end, not the slave
as you note.  If you can find one that is otherwise I am sure a lot of
us would like to see that ugly duckling just for proof it exists.

As Claude says, when using a CS cable jumper the drives CS and when not
using a CS cable jumper them master/slave.   For me that ALWAYS works in
every config.

The only caveat I have is that generally CDROM/DVDROM devices should
never be master to a hard disk so that should be remembered when
installing devices/cables. Otherwise CS settings just work.