Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 8 04:14:55 UTC 2005

On Sunday 07 August 2005 18:12, Jeff Vian wrote:
[...]
>The only caveat I have is that generally CDROM/DVDROM devices should
>never be master to a hard disk so that should be remembered when
>installing devices/cables. Otherwise CS settings just work.

Thats odd, at least for here.  Here I have a dvd writer as /dev/hdc,
and a 200gig drive as /dev/hdd.  Its the virtual tapes for amanda.
It Just Works(TM).

Using the M/S jumpers and normal cables, I have never had (since the
atapi crap finally got sorted about 6 or 7 years back) a problem that
required I move a drives identity jumper block from where I'd already
put it.  Thats from a 3 machine database, with about 10 drives of
various flavors installed.

Any particular reason it shouldn't work?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)