Someone's being lazy... /dev/dvd not linked to /dev/hda

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Aug 8 07:35:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 06:32 +0200, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This problem started a while ago but I can't recall after what.
>
> Now, whenever someone logs in at the console, the links to /dev/dvd
> and /dev/cdrom aren't made, and I have to do that manually.
>
> Is there any service in particular that is suposed to make those symlinks or
> should the gdm or related take care of that?

The default udev rules for CD/DVD devices usually pick this up, but you
could try creating a file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules containing:

BUS="ide", KERNEL="hdX", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="dvd cdrom"

Replace "hdX" with the device name that you point your symlinks at,
which from your Subject: would appear to be "hda".

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>