Grub Problem (?) Installing FC4 dual boot with Win2K

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Aug 8 22:31:35 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Bill Bernauer wrote:
>
>> Jeff Vian wrote:
>>
>>> 1) Check the drives jumper settings and if these drives are on a
>>> cable-select cable I suggest they both be jumpered for cable-select.
>>

>> Both drives are set for CS.
>

> [snip]
>
> Opinion mode ON
>
> CS is EVIL. Do not use CS. I have never seen a machine use CS
> run any better than one with separate Master/Slave settings.
> I have seen machines with CS set get confused about which
> drive is which.
>
> Opinion mode OFF
>
> YMMV
>
> Mike

Flip-flop mode:
Setting the jumpers to master / slave on even a cable where pin 28 is
used for signaling the Master / slave should always work. The fact that
you have a cable setup for CS should not matter. Setting the jumpers
seems to be best practice for predictability.
*However* defective hardware which wants to be master, even when
jumpered as slave, but function correctly is set to CS (cable select)
are legitimate reasons for choosing CS over jumper settings.
Either way would work *sometimes* - :-)

Jim

An interesting link described below shows some good information.
http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html

--
The kernel is not there to cover up for usermode programmers inability
to get things right. It has enough to do covering up for the hardware folk

	- Alan Cox on linux-kernel