Paperless office?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Aug 9 14:13:19 UTC 2005

A friend of mine who runs a small business just bought one of those
fancy scanners that scan documents both sides really fast. Apparently it
works with Linux. But what about software for managing the scanned
documents, tagging them for example and then searching and organising by
tag name. I don't think he necessarily needs to OCR and searching within
the text of the scanned documents, although if there are good reliable
solutions for that that would be icing on the cake. What would be nice
would be to have the scanner connected to a Linux box with plenty of
diskspace running Apache, and have the scanned documents managed and
searched via a web interface.

I'm guessing there must be FOSS solutions out there, but as this is
something I know little about I'm not even sure which search terms to
put into Google or Freshmeat. Does anyone use such a beast themselves?
Advice and recommendations gladly received ...

TIA.

Best, Darren