Grub Problem (?) Installing FC4 dual boot with Win2K

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 9 16:20:02 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Bill Bernauer wrote:

>>> Both drives are set for CS.
>>

>> [snip]
>>
>> Opinion mode ON
>>
>> CS is EVIL. Do not use CS. I have never seen a machine use CS
>> run any better than one with separate Master/Slave settings.
>> I have seen machines with CS set get confused about which
>> drive is which.
>>
>> Opinion mode OFF
>>
>> YMMV
>>
>> Mike
>

> Flip-flop mode:
> Setting the jumpers to master / slave on even a cable where pin 28 is
> used for signaling the Master / slave should always work. The fact that
> you have a cable setup for CS should not matter. Setting the jumpers
> seems to be best practice for predictability.

This has been my experience, also. But see another thread where
one fellow (who really seems to know his stuff) claims that
using a CS cable with Master/Slave jumpered drives does not
always work. I had one instance where that was the case.

But I routinely junk those new cables. More because they
seem to be more susceptible to noise than anything. They are
usually the "round" cables (really just ribbon cable in a
sheath).

> *However* defective hardware which wants to be master, even when
> jumpered as slave, but function correctly is set to CS (cable select)
> are legitimate reasons for choosing CS over jumper settings.
> Either way would work *sometimes* - :-)

Presumably you consider it desirable to continue to use defective
hardware. I do not. Except for "junk" computers for testing
stuff real quickly. I've got a few that run without even a case.
Not something I would recommend.

> Jim
>
> An interesting link described below shows some good information.
> http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html

Oh my goodness! CONVERT a GOOD cable into a BAD one!

Back to the bad old days of floppy drives with twisted
cables.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.