writing to windoze partition

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Tue Aug 9 17:10:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 09:24 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> ----
> happier? no. interesting that you criticized my sarcasm before resorting
> to your own.
>
> Your problems with copying the files would appear to have nothing to do
> with the ntfs kernel module - but rather related to the differences
> between NTFS and VFAT file name handling methodologies and Linux was
> indifferent to it.
>
> I think you would have a much easier time of things if you shared the
> NTFS partition with samba to a Windows computer and allowed the Windows
> computer to copy the files as it understands the nuance of the
> filesystems. Granted a local copy is quicker than a network copy. But a
> local copy that doesn't work vs. a networked copy that does work seems
> to have greater efficacy than writing script to rename files that still
> may have unanticipated results.

This problem comes from Windows, where "short" names (8.3) are sometimes
converted to uppercase when moving files between NTFS and FAT. The linux
driver is emulating this behavior. Fortunately you can use the
shortname= option in fstab to control this behavior (shortname=winnt
works well for me).

--
Brian Gaynor
www.pmccorp.com