Core4 disallows floppy & Zip access

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Aug 9 21:16:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 09:21:40AM -0700, oldman wrote:
> CroombeFP wrote:
>
> >I have just installed FC4 on a new system using an "everything" install
> >option (plenty of HD space). My 3 1/2" floppy and Zip250 drive are both
> >listed and have ikons in the "Computer" desktop folder. BUT when I go to
> >access either one of these two, I am told that I have not specified the
> >file type. I looked in fstab and /media and noted that both devices are
> >listed as "auto". System is Asus A7V400-MX + Athlon XP3000 + 1 GBy RAM,
> >+ 80 GBy HD for / and 20 GBy HD for /home + IBM G70 monitor, + printers
> >+ scanner + onboard Ethernet (which, obviously) works OK! My USB memory
> >stick works just fine but I can't find my camera on one of the USB ports
> >(camera is Fuji S602Zoom) when I could under FC3.
> >
> >What (hopefully simple) solution is there that will let me get access to
> >my floppy and Zip back again -- I'm fairly desperate about this as on
> >the Zip especially, I have loads of data files which I wish to use on my
> >new system to say nothing of downloaded and carefully saved
> >applications.
> >
> >I look forward to solutions to this odd problem.
> >
> >CroombeFP
> >

>    This is a known issue and (I presume) is being looked at.  You might
> want to search bugzilla for complete information, but in the meantime
> use the mount command in a terminal. I.E.:
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/hdb /media/zip
>
> assuming your zip is at /dev/hdb and that /media/zip exist

I haven't done this in FC4 and you don't say hpw your zip drive is
connected. In the past parallel zip drives showed un on /dev/sda1 it
seems to me.

What device does the fstab entry tell you the zip drive is located?-

In love, she who gives her portrait promises the original.
		-- Bruton
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University