trouble downloading

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Aug 9 21:30:51 UTC 2005

Graham S. Green wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My first post to the list so apologies if this question is commonly
> asked but the problem is driving me nuts.
>
> Is anyone else having problems downloading Fedora 4?  I've tried to
> download it on two separate boxes, using two different FTP programs and
> burn the ISO images on two different CD burners but each time I do a
> mediacheck on it, I get a "FAIL - corrupted disk or download error" and
> it then refuses to install.  I've also tried to download it from two
> different servers - the main Fedora server as well as an optusnet mirror
> here in Australia.
>
> I do not have any Linux boxes available and that is why i am trying to
> download this and so i cannot do a SHA1SUM check.
>
> Any ideas or should i want until it is available on a magazine?

You need to make sure you're downloading in binary (or image) mode.
You should also do an SHA1SUM on the downloaded file before you try
to burn a CD of it.  For a SHA1SUM program for Windows (assuming that's
what you're using), try this URL:

	ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe

It's only 20k or so in size.  Again, make SURE you download in binary
or image mode!

If you're downloading the DVD image, be aware that many FTP programs
can't deal with the 4GB+ file size--in which case you're better off
downloading the CD images.  Your FTP program shouldn't have problems
with 700MB+ files.  You have to burn five CDs instead of one DVD and
installing Fedora will take longer, but it works.

And remember, whether you download the CD or DVD images, make sure you
tell your burner software that these are ISO (disk) images.  If you burn
a disk, put it in a drive, look at it and see only one file, you burned
it wrong.
-           Give me ambiguity or give me something else!             -