making Samba work [still dancing with Samba - dns fixed]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Aug 10 01:04:11 UTC 2005

[root at viewridgeproductions2 etc]# service named stop
Stopping named:                                            [  OK  ]
[root at viewridgeproductions2 etc]# service named start
Starting named:                                            [  OK  ]
[root at viewridgeproductions2 etc]# service named status
number of zones: 6
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0
soa queries in progress: 0
query logging is OFF
recursive clients: 0/1000
tcp clients: 0/100
server is up and running

The above is the result of all the work of the past two days. It seems to be
working properly, now. It has been 8 days since I started this thread!

Someone had suggested along the way that perhaps dns was the problem.
However, the original problem persists - to restate:
Linux FC4 box is on the net - it is firewalling, serving dhcp, and routing for
the lan: Samba name is vrproductions2 - ip for lan nic is 192.168.2.1- my
home folder is shared.
On the lan are three Windows pc's:
Studypc is WinXP and is fixed ip: 192.168.2.32
Julimobile is WinXP and gets ip through dhcp
fhb is Win98 and gets ip through dhcp

fhb is not a concern - it's just being routed to the net
Julimobile has two shares - drives c and d -
Studypc has two shares - drives c and f - configured in Windows networking
just like the ones on Julimobile

In the Konqueror address bar, if I type smb:/
I get the icon for my Workgroup:
If I click that, I see the three pc's:
LinuxFC4 box, StudyPC, & Julimobile
Click the Linux box and I see my shared folder, which is browseable
Click the Julimobile icon and I see the two shared drives both of which are
browseable
Click the Studypc icon and I get a big error dialog:
"Internal Error
Please send a full bug report at http://bugs.kde.org
libsmbclient reported an error, but did not specify what the problem is. This
might indicate a severe problem with your network - but also might indicate a
problem with libsmbclient.
If you want to help us, please provide a tcpdump of the network interface
while you try to browse (be aware that it might contain private data, so do
not post it if you are unsure about that - you can send it privately to the
developers if they ask for it)"

However, if I put smb://192.168.2.32 in the konqueror address bar, then I can
get to studypc. There is a secondary problem there - the c drive is
browseable and works great; the f drive share lets me access the root of that
drive but returns a password request dialog as soon as I click on any folder,
and no user/password combo residing on that machine or my Linux box will get
me in (this, probably, is a Windows problem because I get the same issue when
trying to browse that drive from the other Windows machine, Julimobile)

At this point, I can do 95% of what I  need. I'm just stubborn - mostly, at
this point, I just want to understand how this all works. Why is the Studypc
name not being resolved to its ip address, which is fixed, and is listed in
hosts and lmhosts? Then there's that pesky problem with StudyPC's f drive -
that's more transcendental because that's one of the things I do at work,
manage a business network - I've never seen this kind of issue, before - but
this is the wrong list for that problem.....

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA