Building Core 4 without 4K stacks?

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.2y.net
Wed Aug 10 03:22:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:28:28AM -0400, Stephen Reppucci wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new to the list, but searched the archives and couldn't find an
> answer.
>
> I've just upgraded to FC4 from FC3, where I had a nicely working wlan
> interface (LinkSys WPC54GS) via the ndiswrapper module loader.

You're the first person I've ever heard to get the Linksys W...54GS to
work.  I've had a cute little Linksys WUSB54GS adapter for nearly a
year.  It works fine in Windows, but that's no use to me.  I've
failed totally to get it to work in Linux - Fedora Core 3 & 4 - using
ndiswrapper.  Ndiswrapper says the Windows driver is invalid.
I've never tried rebuilding the kernel with non-standard stack size,
though.

If you ever do get your WPC54GS to work, please let us know how.
I'd like to try the same strategy with the USB version.
I'd really like to get the benefit of -g mode with SpeedBooster.
I suppose the "SpeedBooster" is a proprietary Linksys thing, but I do
also have the matching WRT54GS wireless router.

> After upgrading, I went to re-install ndiswrapper and discovered that
> it won't work with the FC4 kernels, as they're built with the
> CONFIG_4KSTACKS option. I installed the kernel source and went to
> rebuild, and found that Fedora has apparently removed the option from
> the configuration process to disable 4K stacks (grrr...)
>
> Anyone have any hints on how I can get around this? I see #ifdef's in
> the source tree for '#ifdef CONFIG_4KSTACKS', but not sure if I can
> just define that someplace, and have the right things happen, or if
> the changes are more involved than that.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> --
> Steve Reppucci                                       sgr at logsoft.com |
> Logical Choice Software                          http://logsoft.com/ |
>
> --

	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.2y.net     www.datix.us