OpenOffice does not save document

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Thu Aug 11 20:59:59 UTC 2005

Hello,
Wondering if the OP found a solution on this, or if other stumbled on this
problem, because I have. Completely just like the OP described.

On Monday 04 July 2005 10:13, Paul Almquist wrote:
> On Monday 04 July 2005 01:48, Harald Grossauer wrote:
<snip> >
> > No, no and no. It is a quite freshly installed FC4 with almost 100GB free
> > on the /home-partition.
> >
> > Should definitely not run out of anything.
> >
> > But thanks for the answer!
>
> It has been a few days since the original post of your problem.  Did you
> resolve the issue?  If so, what was it?

No, I couldn't find any resolution.

> Here are some other things to consider:
> Did the permissions on the directory where you are saving the document get
> changed?
> Did you change the directory where you are saving to one where you do not
> have write permission?
> Did you try saving to another directory where you know you have write
> permission, such as, /tmp?
> Any packages (new or updates) installed or removed?
> Any configuration changes?
> Is the problem reproducible?
> May be you encountered a bug in OO.

No permission changed on the system. My home directory is NFS mounted to an
NFS server. But when this happens I tried to "Save as" the file to a local
directory to which I'm sure I have complete access to, and to /tmp, nothing
works. openoffice (in this case Impress) just won't save anything. Luckily,
it is my habbit to always hit CTRL-S every several minute, so I only lost one
slide worth of work. When I close OO (it asked if I wanted to save), I had to
say discard, and then the dialog "OO has crashed" pops up. I guess I am going
to file bug report with that.

This has happened twice to me in the last couple days since I've been working
intensely building presentation this last two days. When this happens, I had
to 'rm -rf .oo~' in my home directory, otherwise OO keeps giving me random
crashes.

I have to say this openoffice beta that comes with FC 4 is not really stable.
I am wondering why FC4 includes that rather than the stable 1.1.x version.

Reuben D. Budiardja