FC4 File system corrupted. Help!

Lloyd Hayes lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 13 03:09:43 UTC 2005

>I got the bug in my Thunderbird email the other day. Today, I decided
>> to un-install Thunderbird and re-install it using 'Yum Extender'
>>
>> Bad move. Yum Extender froze while doing this. After letting it sit
>> for a half hour, I did a force quit on it.
>>
>> Afterwards I tried loading Synaptic to do the same thing. It would
>> not start.
>>
>> I logged out as a user, intending to log back in as root. I got a
>> small red screen approximate 800x600 pixels in size, and I get a
>> message that it can not load my graphical desktop. I had the line
>> commands only, and most of those are cut off by the outer blue
>> screen.
>>
>> I rebooted.
>>
>> I got the message that my file system was corrupted and Selinux was
>> preventing repairs. It stated that it had disabled selinux. It needed
>> my root password.
>>
>> When I typed in the root password, I got this:
>>
>> :repairing volume 1:
>>
>> It is sitting there waiting for something, but I do not know what. If
>> I simply type in "yes", I see a bunch of odd characters appear on
>> that small red screen, then it goes blank. Nothing appears to be
>> happening with my hard drive.
>>
>> I can really use some help to recover some files here.
>

>----
>at the :repairing volume 1: prompt...
>
>e2fsck -fy /dev/hda1
>substitute freely for hda1 for other partitions or logical devices
>
>Craig

fsck reports too many bad blocks. It attempts to copy them, but I think
that it is simply running out of room. I have an 18 GB partition for Win
XP and a 10 GB partition for FC4. There was about 2 GB free the last
time I looked at the FC4 partition.

I have a 2nd older laptop computer running FC3 which has not been
updated recently. It works fine. I don't think that I'll update it all.
I'm going to give up on FC4. It simply has too many problems...

--

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590