FC4 File system corrupted. Help!

Lloyd Hayes lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 02:14:05 UTC 2005

Thanks for the info, and sorry for not giving a clear picture of the
problems. It's a case of too many things going wrong back-to-back with
FC4. It takes another computer to figure out which problem is associated
with which other problem.

My 1st impression when e2fsck reported the bad blocks was that my hard
drive was failing. However, the hard drive is partitioned with MS
Windows XP. If it was the hard drive problem, then Win XP would also be
affected. It's not.

Then we come to Logical Volume 1, instead of hda1. I don't know how that
works. I suspect that the Logical Volumes are a diversion form the
normal record tracking, the same way that Win XP and NT file systems
diverted from what was previously normal. IE,with NT, the disk map is
maintained in the directory instead of being chained at the end of each
block. Anyway, e2fsck reported problems with Logical Volume 1 and was
unable to fix it. I would need to know a lot more then I do about the
file system to use a disk editor.

As for bleeding edge, I have Red Hat 9, and Red Hat even says that
everyone should migrate to Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise. The problem
with older releases is that a number of Internet bugs are aimed at them.
As for testing versions vs stable releases, I understood that FC4 was
supposed to have been released as stable.

Anyway, I was very happy with FC3. But the updates from the past couple
of months have made it as bad as FC4.

But you are right. I have the rescue CDs for FC3 and FC4, plus a couple
of older Knoppix CDs, along with a couple of SUSE CDs. I can try
recovery with these. thanks for pointing this out. This whole thing does
bother me because I have considered Fedora Core the best of the
available versions of Linux, up until now....

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590
Web Journal: http://lloyd_hayes.bravejournal.com/