scanner issue

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Aug 14 10:51:24 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 20:32 -0700, John Pearson wrote:
>  I am trying to setup my scanner which is a Brother MFC 8440 laser
> printer/scanner/copier/fax.
> I can use the scanner as root but not as a general user. It works fine
> in Kooka and Xsane but only as root. How do I get permission as a
> general user. It works fine as a printer as a general user.

You'll need to find out the device name the scanner is using when you
use it as root. Typically this will be /dev/sg0 or /dev/sg1. If you use
Xsane it should tell you the device it's using when it's detected it.

Then, run the following command to get some information about the
scanner:

# udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sg0)

(replace sg0 with the device name if your scanner if it's different)

Post the result back here and we'll take it from there.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>