restore computer and reinstall grub

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 04:24:29 UTC 2005

Dear Kind Folks,
   I was experimenting with an external USB hard drive
and installed fedora 4 on it.  I followed the advice
given on some emails from this list.  I must have
screwed up somewhere.  Upon running installation I
selected linux expert nohd and ran diskdrake with
/boot partition=100MB, linux-swap partition=768MB
2xRAM, and / partition rest of space.  I selected all
packages and made a complete install.  The internel
disk which original fedora was installed had several
partitions and /boot/grub/grub.conf had root(hd0,2)
and when I tried to boot it leaving USB connected it
gave (hd1,0).

I disconnected the USB drive and tried again.

Upon reboot, I encounter the following message

root(hd1,0)
kernel vmlinux-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
quiet
   [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x18e473]
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
   [Linux-initrd @ 0x18de1f000c, 0x1a0e53 bytes]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Red Hat Nash version 4.2.15 starting
  Reading all physical volumes this may take a while
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type
lvm2
  2 logical volume(s) in Volume Group "VolumeGroup00"
now active

mkrootdev:  label / not found
mount:  error 2 mounting ext3
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!:2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
switchroot:  mount failed: 22
kernel panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!

I popped in install cd and ran linux rescue to restore
grub file using
# chroot /mnt/sysimage
but could not remember how to restore grub to boot
original fedora installed on hard drive.

Advice, suggestions, and comments are greatly
appreciated.

Also please give advice to make USB hard drive boot on
its own to run on different computers taking the
system wherever I go.  I messed up somewhere and would
like to rectify.

Thanks in advance,

Antonio