madwifi - Makefile.inc:122: *** KERNELCONF: /lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1372_FC3/build/.config does not exist.. Stop.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Aug 15 06:02:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 22:04 -0400, Alex Janssen wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >>How would someone know they needed this new package when they had not
> >>needed it before?
> >>

> >----
> >read the release notes - see the part about adding kernel modules
> >
> >Craig
> >

> Craig,
> I was looking in the release notes as you suggested.  I don't see any
> thing referring specifically to "adding kernel modules".  I'd like to
> read what you suggest, but I'm not sure I'm finding it.  Could you be
> more specific.  Maybe a text fragment to search for.
----
this is what I was referring to...

Note
An exploded source tree is not required to build kernel modules against
the currently in-use kernel.

For example, to build the foo.ko module, create the following file
(named Makefile) in the directory containing the foo.c file:

obj-m    := foo.o

KDIR    := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD    := $(shell pwd)

default:
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules

Issue the make command to build the foo.ko module.

Craig