httpd newbie / access denied, no permission to ~userid

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Aug 15 13:45:28 UTC 2005

From:           	Joel Smith <joelvsmith at earthlink.net>
To:             	fedora-list at redhat.com
Date sent:      	Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:37:18 -0400
Subject:        	httpd newbie / access denied, no permission to ~userid
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> I am running Fedora Core 4, httpd-2.0.54.
>
> When I try to access http://localhost/~userid/index.html I get
>
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /~userid on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>
> the permissions for /home/userid and /home/userid/public_html are
> drwxr-xr-x, the permission for /home/userid/public_html/index.html is
> -rw-rw-r-- ...
>
> I changed the mod_userdir.c section in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to :
>
> <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
>     #
>     # UserDir is disabled by default since it can confirm the presence
>     # of a username on the system (depending on home directory
>     # permissions).
>     #
>     #UserDir disable
>
>     #
>     # To enable requests to /~user/ to serve the user's public_html
>     # directory, remove the "UserDir disable" line above, and uncomment
>     # the following line instead:
>     #
>     UserDir public_html
>
> </IfModule>
>
> and then I use the next section which was originally commented out.
>
> #
> # Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
> # for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
> #
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
>     Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
>     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>     </Limit>
>     <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Deny from all
>     </LimitExcept>
> </Directory>
>
> all other parts of httpd.conf were left as is...
>
> That's about all I know about httpd and it doesn't work..  How do I get
> access to view the html pages in /home/userid/public_html ???
>
> In the error logs it reports:
> [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to /~userid denied
>
> it also seems to be looking for a favicon.ico
>
> File does not exist:  [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
> exist: /var/www/html/favicon.ico
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
 What are the permissions of the /home directory.

Check if it is a SELinux problem.
system-config-securitylevel
disable the SELinux, and see it it then works.
If yes, it is a SELinux problem.
Re-enable it, and check the httpd settings, one regards to access of
user home directories.

I seem to recall that the change didn't work after I did it, but then
after a reboot it did.

> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list at redhat.com

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  17,317
Processing time:  31 years, 210 days, 10 hours,  6 minutes
(Total Hours: 276,610)