httpd newbie / access denied, no permission to ~userid

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 15 14:05:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 08:37 -0400, Joel Smith wrote:
> I am running Fedora Core 4, httpd-2.0.54.
>
> When I try to access http://localhost/~userid/index.html I get
>
> Forbidden

Most likely, almost certainly SELinux issues.  I agree with anyone else
suggesting this reason.  There's a FAQ about that on the Fedora website,
as already mentioned.

> In the error logs it reports:
> [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to /~userid denied
>
> it also seems to be looking for a favicon.ico
>
> File does not exist:  [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
> exist: /var/www/html/favicon.ico

Many browsers request /favicon.ico when loading or bookmarking a page.
They're trying to find an icon for your website, to put in the bookmarks
or display next to the address, and looking in a common place they all
expect to find one.

You can:

1. Ignore it (ignore what the log says, or tell the log to ignore such
requests).

2. Put an icon where it's looking for one.  There's a plethora of FAQs
about how to do it right (I never recall the details, I just look for it
if I want to do that).  Stick a "no MSIE" one in there.  ;-)

I read messages from the public lists.