httpd newbie / access denied, no permission to ~userid

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Aug 15 14:14:34 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 08:37 -0400, Joel Smith wrote:
>
>>I am running Fedora Core 4, httpd-2.0.54.
>>
>>When I try to access http://localhost/~userid/index.html I get
>>
>>Forbidden
>

> Most likely, almost certainly SELinux issues.  I agree with anyone else
> suggesting this reason.  There's a FAQ about that on the Fedora website,
> as already mentioned.

Rather than disabling SELinux though, it would be better to first read
"man httpd_selinux" and see if that suggests a fix for the problem, such as:

# setsebool -P httpd_enable_homedirs 1
# chcon -R -t httpd_sys_content_t ~user/public_html

This will be probably be sufficient to get the OP going.

Paul.