Internet isn't accessible after update

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 15 15:01:15 UTC 2005

David Ganger wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <akonstam at trinity.edu>

Do you really use a switch, or do you use a router? If you
really use a switch, then you need the XP machine there for
some sort of firewall. I'd suggest replacing the switch with
a router (you can get them for < $40 USD these days), and
putting the XP machine behind it. You'll likely have less
exposure that way.

If you are running a router, then it is not a normal setup.
You are using the XP machine as a bridge. My suggestion would
be to put the XP machine behind the router.

The setup I use is:

      PSTN             ETH           ETH
ISP<----->ADSL Modem<------>Router<--+----->Machine 1

                                      +----->Machine 2

This is a normal setup, and lets the router do its job.
I think that if you do it this way, you'll have more joy.

You'll need to replace the PSTN connection with your cable
connection, and the ADSL Modem with your Cable Modem.

Do you really have a switch, or d

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.