Off topic: Hacker

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Mon Aug 15 15:26:43 UTC 2005

On Monday 15 August 2005 10:11, Rick Lim wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I know this is not the correct forum to ask this question, but I
> have to start somewhere.......
>
> I have a friend with a linux firewall box.
> There appears to be a very simple minded hacker trying to do
> simple ssh password attacks on this box.
>
> I have been using whois and reporting this to each ISP he/she is
> coming from but he/she just breaks into a different machine on an
> new ISP and tries again.
>
> Is there something more I can do to track this person down?

What makes you think it's the same person.  There are a number of
ssh worms that are being used to attack on port 22, see:

( http://dshield.org/port_report.php?port=22&recax=1&tarax=2&srcax=2&percent=N&days=40&Redraw= )

for reports of current port probes.  You may want to submit your
firewall logs to: http://dshield.org/howto.php

Regards, Mike Klinke