explanation of yum.cron + a little clarification

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 16:05:34 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> Second, one of the convention behind both Linux and Unix is the
> existence of a lock file means its associated daemon is running. To have a
> lock file exist when the daemon is not running violates this convention --

If the lock file exists, cron runs yum.  If the lock file doesn't exist,
cron doesn't run yum.  Seems like it follows the "convention" to me.

I'm sure if you find the person that created the whole setup, they would
say that it makes it easier for people new to Fedora to enable automatic
updating.  I would agree that exposing it as a daemon makes it easier to
control that just a cron job would be.

--
William Hooper