Internet isn't accessible after update

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 16 02:24:14 UTC 2005

Edward Dekkers wrote:
> David Ganger wrote:

[snip]

> This is very strange. The fact that you can ping sites but not get to
> them via http is crazy.
>
> Also your set-up really makes no sense to me.

I said basically the same thing in politer language. But as he
seemingly has no intention of trying a more normal setup, and
I know very little about using XP in this manner, I decided
to drop out of the thread.

> I need you to be sure of some things before we can help you. You mention
> that the Linux box goes "through" the Windows XP box.
>
> Is this really true?

I asked him this exact question, and he said yes.

> For example - is Internet Connection Sharing enabled on XP?
>
> When you look at your network connections, does one of them say "shared"?
>
> Could you also please provide the output of:
>
> 1> ipconfig /all on Windows.
> 2> ifconfig -a on Linux.
> 3> route -n on Linux.
> 4> Your router's IP address.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.
>
> P.S. It sounds to me like up2date didn't mess this up at all, from what
> you're been posting it looks like a very wrong set-up if I understand
> you correctly, in which case I am surprised it worked at all.

So am I. Are you really willing to try to troubleshoot his setup?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.