restore computer and reinstall grub(Solved)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 12:49:17 UTC 2005

--- Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
> > > I popped in install cd and ran linux rescue to
> restore grub file
> > > using # chroot /mnt/sysimage but could not
> remember how to restore
> > > grub to boot original fedora installed on hard
> drive.
>
> After chrooting into your detected internal hard
> disk installation.
> grub-install /dev/hda
> might work.

It worked excellent!  Thanks!   I could not remember
this command.  The usb hard drive overwrote the MBR
and I could not boot unto fedora.  But with
grub-install it worked great.  I can boot back
previous configuration.

> > > Advice, suggestions, and comments are greatly
> appreciated.
> > >
> > > Also please give advice to make USB hard drive
> boot on its own to
> > > run on different computers taking the system
> wherever I go. I
> > > messed up somewhere and would like to rectify.
>
> I have not successfully booted from usb with Fedora
> as of yet.
> Expanding all of the initrd image, including sfdisk,
> recompressing the
> initrd image and editing grub gave me a similar
> error as you described.
> running the attached script got me to /dev/console
> before a kernel panic.

I am trying to use grub interactively to see how to
activate the drive and boot from it for the first
time.   I will work on it and ask questions as needed.
 Thanks to all for helping.

Kind regards,

Antonio