Still no wireless network on my laptop

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 16:22:03 UTC 2005

--- Johan Lozano <johan.lozano at tiscali.be> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i am trying to install a wireless nic on my acer
> aspire 5024 wlmi
> without succes.
> is someone succeeded in such an attempt and if so
> how did you do it?
>
> i tried with the original nic a broadcom 4318 with
> ndiswrapper and the
> linuxant way. nothing helps.
> today i bought a new nic a d-link dwl-g650 and tried
> also with
> ndiswrapper as well as with the linuxant manner,
> again without success.
> finally i followed the madwafi method and even that
> was not succesfull.
>
> is there anybody who can help me out here?

I'm just a noob, but I can tell you what worked for
me.
I was able to get the internal Broadcom (4309
802.11b/g) working using ndiswrapper.

I believe the livna repos has an rpm for ndiswrapper,
but I installed from source.

Make sure you have the windows driver files for the
card. If not, they are available online.
Also, make sure the internal card is enabled.
My laptop has a button to turn it on/off. I got a
little frustrated one day with getting the wifi
working before I realized it was turned off.

Oh, and make sure wireless-tools are installed; comes
with FC4.

First download the source from
http://ndiswrapper.sf.net
Then I untarred it; something like tar -xvf ndisw*.gz
Then, I "su -" to be root.
Then cd'd into the directory with the ndiswrapper
files.
Then I did this:
#> make
#> make install
#> ndiswrapper -l
[tells you if you have a driver loaded and if it's
working]
#> ndiswrapper -i /path_to_driver/bcmwlXXX.inf
#> ndiswrapper -l
[Should now say driver is loaded and hardware is
present]
#> ndiswrapper -m [create the info file for modprobe]
#> modprobe ndiswrapper

Assuming there were no errors, the card is on, and you
installed the right windows driver, it should now be
working.

you can now use 'iwlist wlan0 scan' to scan for
networks. 'iwconfig wlan0' will tell you your wireless
settings. 'dhclient wlan0' will connect to the first
available open network.

same should work for the external card.

hope this helps.