Archiving Data Permanently

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Tue Aug 16 19:48:39 UTC 2005

Hello,
I'm wondering if people could give me suggestion about the most economical
ways to archive data more permanently. Often time we want to clean up some
harddrive from machines in our offices, and we want to archive the data first
before we wipe it out, just in case we need them in the future, though
unlikely. What's the best way to do this in cases like that ? I am talking
about 20GB - 75GB size data maybe.

What I've done so far is just tar-bzip2-ed all the files and directory to a
single .tar.bz2 file. Then I am planning to use 'split' to split it and then
write them to like CD or DVD, but this could easily takes many discs. Are
there any other more economical ways ?

Thank you for any help.

RDB