synaptics driver not loaded

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Aug 16 20:36:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 August 2005 12:05, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 11:50 -0600, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
>>
>> wrote:
>>> How do I knopw for sure the synaptics driver is loaded. I suspect it is
>>> not loading in my xorg.conf file.
>>>
>>> The package is loaded :
>>>
>>> # rpm -qa | grep synaptics
>>> synaptics-0.13.5-5
>>
>> Try:
>>
>> $ rpm -qi synaptics
>>
>> That will tell you about the package. It may not be what you think it
>> is.
>>
>> Paul.
>> --
>> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> It is the package I expect. However if I change the primary input device (i.e.
> mouse0) in my xorg.conf file to use the synaptics driver via:
>
> Driver      "synaptics"
>
> then the mouse does not work at all however if I use :
>
> Driver      "mouse"
>
> then it works. This makes me suspect the synaptics driver is not loaded.
>
> Thoughts ?

The synaptics driver should indicate its status in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Here are the relevant portions of my xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "Default Layout"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

[...]

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Synaptics"
         Driver      "synaptics"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
         Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

[...]

That's how it was configured by a fresh install of FC4 (except for the
SHMConfig option).  In theory, the touchpad (and pointing stick) and an
external mouse should all function as expected.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu