problem with KDE from kde-redhat in FC4

Yuri Shirman shirman at korablik.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 16 23:38:21 UTC 2005

Hi
I upgraded default KDE in FC4 to packages from kde-redhat and
encountered the following problem.
When I login I get a message "Could not initialize kdeinit. Check
installation".
KDE actually runs, but some tray applications do not show up in the tray
and so on.

It happended only on one machine (which has fc4 upgraded from fc3). No
problem on a clean  FC4 install, or on another machine with fc4 upgraded
from fc3 (I actually have to check if I indeed installed there
kde-redhat packages).

The issue persists for a new user, so it is not in user configuration
files. I tried  changing kdmrc to the older files I had on the machine,
or the files from working installations -- did not help.
Downgrading back  to stock fc4 KDE solves the problem.

Any idea which packages could be causing conflict or what configuration
files may have to be corrected?

Thanks,
Yuri Shirman
--