Network (for TIM)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 17 15:39:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 22:16 +0400, Javier Ochoa wrote:

> Could you please explain to me a little bit more about mapping the
> networked resource into the Linux directory tree? or give some advice
> on where I could read about it.

Please don't change subject lines ad-hoc, it makes it harder to follow
on-going conversations; and other people might be able to answer you
just as well, or better than, me.  Also, quote some of the prior message
when replying (enough so that the reply makes sense without having to
find the previous message).

Read the "mount" command and "fstab" file man files for details as to
how to mount things onto the directory tree.

The basic idea is that you create a directory on your tree where you
want it mounted, then either use the mount command to mount the remote
resource there, or modify your fstab file to do the same.  The fstab
file is the way to go if you're going to keep on mounting that resource.
When you just type a mount command line into your CLI, it only works for
now (the next time you reboot, it's gone).

In either case, you're specifying the source (the network share), the
type of filesystem (NFS, SMB, CIFS, etc.), and where to mount it
locally.

I read messages from the public lists.