FC4: Unnecessary network "noise"?

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Wed Aug 17 16:00:59 UTC 2005

Hi all,

originally I wrote this message 3 days after installing FC4 but then I
wasn't a subscriber to fedora-list and my msg never appeared in public:

"After installing FC4-x86_64 a few days ago, on July 1st Red Hat Network
wanted me to update lots of RPMs which I okayed. The packets seem to
work OK, but now my box contacts RHN _once_every_minute_ obviously
asking for new updates. What's the point? I should think once per day
would be sufficient..."

Later I've read RHN FAQs and checked /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd which only
says: INTERVAL=240

If I'm not mistaken, this should mean my box connects to RHN every four
hours. However, I'm still connecting to RHN once every minute (I've got
Ethereal logs to prove it).

So my question is: Why does my box connect to RHN all the time and where
is the parameter to change?

TIA, Antti