Numlock as standard?

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Wed Aug 17 16:28:01 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

>Henry Hartley wrote:
>

>>You could just turn it on in the BIOS.  Oh, wait, that doesn't
>>work.  I still don't understand why Linux cannot simply abide
>>by the BIOS setting and leave numlock alone.  Even Windows 95
>>got that right.
>>

>Yes, I find that annoying too.  What's more annoying is when you turn it
>on, then go to another window and that application acts as if it's off.
>Even if Linux paid attention to the initial setting by the BIOS, it
>wouldn't help (for that reason).  Nearly every application you try and
>type in requires you to toggle the numlock two or more times to get it
>working again.
>
>Does anyone using that extra utility program (which wasn't mentioned in
>the message that I'm replying to) know whether it overcomes this
>particular annoyance?  I'm always loathe to install things just to try
>out something.

Which "extra utility program" are you referring to? There have been
three mentioned in this thread (numlock, numlockx & lock-keys-applet).
Having said that, I can speak for numlock
(numlock-0.1-0.0.yjl.1.i386.rpm) on fc3 which the OP was interested in.
The answer is yes, it does overcome that particular annoyance ;-)

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.