cvs problem with iptables

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Aug 18 09:16:10 UTC 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 09:54, Ankush Grover wrote:
> hey friends,
>
>  I have configured CVS on FC3.Now the problem is that if the iptables
> is on then I am not able to access the cvs from the windows clients
> but if the iptables is off then I can access it.

Send in tcpdump

tcpdump

to see what is not making it through iptables.  If you get a ton of junk
obscuring the cvs traffic, use syntax like this (this example will filter out
ssh-related traffic from the tcpdump report)

tcpdump not port 22

It is much much better to see everything and filter out the bad rather than
make assumptions about what is to be seen and ask only to see that.... ie,
this would not be a good idea:

tcpdump port 2401 and port 2402

because it may be another port you didn't imagine yet that actually causes
your problem, and that way you will not see it.

-Andy