ClamAV and Sendmail on FC4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Aug 18 18:55:29 UTC 2005

Justin Willmert wrote:
> I need some assistance in setting up ClamAV for Sendmail on an FC4
> system. First of all, when I try to find tutorials online, I find
> everything for FC1 or FC2. When I looked in the extras directory at
> redhat.com, it looks like ClamAV is available for FC4. It seems to have
> been split up into more packages than the single rpm older versions
> dealt with (If I understand this correctly, FC1 and FC2 didn't get their
> rpms from RedHat, did they?). This is question number one: What packages
> do I need to install?
>
> Secondly, I tried to just install some of the packages and do what some
> of the older tutorials told. For some reason, I can never get the milter
> settings into sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc. Here is what I've got in
> sendmail.mc:
>
>     INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav',
> `S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl
>
> After I put that in, I execute make to recompile sendmail.cf. This is my
> second question: As I understand it, Fedora packaged releases of
> Sendmail contain milter capabilites, so why aren't these settings being
> reflected in sendmail.cf?

You'd be better off doing "service sendmail restart" to do the
recompile.

You can see what options sendmail was built with by using
"sendmail -bt -d0.1", then hitting CTRL-D at the prompt.  Look at the
output.  If you see "MILTER" in there, then it was compiled with milter
capacity.

Why isn't it in sendmail.cf?  Because not everyone uses milters or
clamav.  Heck, off-the-shelf sendmail won't even accept mail from the
outside world (see the DAEMON_OPTIONS in sendmail.mc).  Security, don't
you know.

> My third question is a simple one: Should I use the RedHat rpms, or
> should I find a different rpm from some other source (say rpmfind or
> dag, etc.)?

The ones from Red Hat should be fine.

> And my last question (and maybe the most obvious): Is there a good
> tutorial out there somewhere that describes this for FC4 and Sendmail
> (I've found plenty for FC4 with Postfix, but that doesn't help me any)?

Go out and get the "Bat" book ("sendmail, Third Edition" by Costalles
and Allman, from O'Reilly).  The Red Hat stuff works pretty much as
shown in that book, with the exception that the config files and such
are in /etc/mail under RH/FC, whereas the book says they're in /etc.
-         "If you can't fix it...duct tape it!"  - Tim Allen         -