Bugs in new kernels

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 19 23:27:36 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

>> It would be much better if he/she just installed the kernel
>> in the standard way with "make install",
>> and left it as an extra option for grub.

> What is standard about that way of installing. It is rather primitive
> in my mind to the rpm way.

You misunderstood what I was saying.
Just before the bit you quoted above I said
"Whoever is responsible for new Fedora kernels
tries to do far too much,
adding entirely unnecessary "improvements" to grub.conf ."

My argument was that the "official" kernels
tinker too much with grub.conf ,
not that rpm was or was not a good way of installing a kernel.

Having said that, I run compiled kernels myself
because I use non-standard modules,
eg my USB PCI dongle did not work with the standard hermes module
last time I tried.

But I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone
who wants to run an "official" distribution kernel,
if it runs OK for him/her.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366