[AMD64 - FC4-64] SMP causes keyboard trouble

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 20 09:51:59 UTC 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:

> After posting what I wrote earlier, I thought I would have another
> look at the Tyan website. They now have a BIOS which does allow USB
> legacy to be turned off. This is version 1.16. Their notes don't
> mention this change, but after installing it I found the new option. I
> have been using a PS/2 keyboard for the past few hours with no errors.
> This is looking good. I suggest you try it. :-)
>
> Steve

I have been experimenting with USB legacy and with PS2 versus USB and
the result is:

1. PS2 keyboard in combination with SMP gives the same result, it just
takes longer to happen.
2. disabling USB legacy results in the BIOS not recognizing any
keyboard. It does recognize the mouse even though both keyboard and
mouse are wireless and thus connected through the same USB device.
3. Only the UP-kernel is trouble free (as far as USB/PS2 keyboard is
concerned).

I have also found a bug that describes my problem (more or less) so I
added comments to it:

  Bug 154539 processed: Kernel 2.6.11-1.14 & 2.6.11-1.27 break USB
  mouse/keyboard.

Guus.

--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,