[Semi-OT] Help configuring a file server

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 13:47:19 UTC 2005

John Wendel wrote:
> The main concern I have is the disk controllers, (2) Promise SATA300
> TX4.

http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html#tx2 is the best place to look.
It says yes, this is good, but don't expect any old-fashioned parallel
ATA (= standard IDE) ports to work.

NCQ or TCQ will speed up disk drives for some operations. But they
aren't essential. If you're basically just serving up large files, I
would not expect them to make a difference. (If you're serving hundreds
of <500K files per second, then you might notice the difference...)

On the other hand, http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html#tx4 says
don't expect the card's BIOS RAID to work. Set up RAID in the Fedora
install, instead.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Legacy (adj):