Sensors-Detect Bug

Chris Spencer gmane.20.evilspam at spamgourmet.com
Sat Aug 20 19:55:00 UTC 2005

Using Gkrellm, I can view several of my system's sensors (voltage, temp,
etc), but I wanted something better incorporated into the panel. So I
installed the sensors-applet. Unfortunately, the applet reported "no
sensors found" even though Gkrellm has no problem finding sensors. I
then ran sensors-detect, which wrote /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors, and
after a reboot the panel was able to read the sensors.

Unfortunately, an intolerable side-effect of this configuration is my
CPU fan now runs full-blast all the time, regardless of CPU activity. If
I comment out any of the lines in /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors and reboot,
my fan runs normally, but of course the sensor-applet can't find any
sensors.

This is immensely frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Is it a bug or am I misconfiguring something? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris