RAW devices

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Aug 21 05:10:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 14:43 -0400, John Rowan wrote:
> The application I seek to run on FC4 requires raw partition support.
> RH9 had such raw devices defined but there is nothing like it from what
> I can see in FC4.  The vendor, Raining Data, will not support Fedora
> Core, recommeding clients purchase RHES instead.  On their user forum
> one person suggested to use White Box Linux or CentOS (his preference).
> I tried White Box some time ago but didn't have the time to invest in
> yet another distribution.  I have the same feeling about CentOS but if
> Raw partitions are not part of FC4 I guess I'll be downloading a new
> distro soon.

To use a raw partition, simply do not format it.  Run fdisk to create
the partition. Then the pickDB can be told to use that partition and it
should be happy.

AFAICT CentOS is equivalent to RHES4 and WhiteBox is equivalent to
RHES3.  I may be behind on their status, but if you get CentOS you have
basically the same as RHES and it should work the same.