to yum or apt

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sun Aug 21 09:25:57 UTC 2005

Richard Emberson wrote:

> In the past I've used synaptic (which uses apt). Now that I've just
> upgraded to
> FC4, the question I've got is should I switch over to use the Yum
> Extender?
> Will packages available to yum users also be available to apt users?
> Does yumex assure that all dependencies are satisfied before doing an
> install?

Haven't tried yumex (yet), just plain yum, but that does make sure
everything is right wrt. dependencies etc.

Apart from that, the way I understand it, apt and yum now use exactly
the same "repository" data, i.e. a yum-enabled distribution directory
will also work with apt and vice versa. If it uses the current
repository format, that is; there used to be different, incompatible
formats, then both tools were updated to support a common standard.

So you should be able to switch between yum and apt at your whim. Or
up2date, which also uses the same distro data.