Slow page rendering with Firefox

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 22 00:08:26 UTC 2005

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> Thomas Taylor wrote:

>>> Thanks for the analysis. I've got 68 seconds on FC4 updated.
>>>

>> For me it was 7.34 seconds.  Using firefox 1.0.4.
>> What hardware do you have?  Video card, motherboard, cpu & speed, etc.
>> Does your video card use acceleration?  If so, is it turned on?

You are using 1.0.4, not 1.0.6?

>> Tom
>>
> 101.065  using Firefox 1.0.6 and the worlds worst ISP, ATT Worldnet
> dial-up.

The reports so far seem to be pretty consistent that people who are
using 1.0.4 have reasonable render times. People who are using 1.0.6
from Fedora have horrible render times.

As for hardware, I'm not sure how relevant it is given that almost every
other browser (including Firefox on Windows via VMWare AND Firefox
downloaded from mozilla.org) running on the same hardware performs at
least 4 times better than the Firefox from Fedora Core. HOWEVER, here
goes anyway:

Video : Nvidia GEForce 5900 XT 128MB
        Nvidia driver version 1.0-7664 (I should update this)
        acceleration enabled according to Xorg.0.log
        res 1600x1200

CPU   : Intel Xeon 1500 Mhz (1-cpu)

RAM   : 2 GB RDRAM

MB    : Dell board with Intel 860 PCI/AGP chipset

I know I need to upgrade but 40-50+ seconds to render a page? No way :-)

Cheers,
Raman