Middle Click with Firefox

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 03:48:45 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I recently noticed in the Windows version of Firefox, I can middle
click on a tab and Firefox will close that tab.  Very handy feature as
I can close tabs without activating them and without taking the mouse
all the way over to the right edge.  However, this does not seem to
work in Fedora.  I'm guessing It probably has something to do with the
middle click paste feature of Linux.  Does anyone know for certain why
Firefox does not act the same way between the two OSs?  Does the
mozilla.org very act the same way?  I've also noticed that sometimes
middle clicking on a page (not on a link) will take me to seemingly
random pages.  Some tests just now reveal that the page it goes to
seems to have something to do with what word was highlighted, like the
auto copy/paste with the middle button feature.  However, I have the
autoscroll feature enabled where middle clicking allows me to scroll
the page.  Sometimes middle click activates the scroll and sometimes
it takes me to another page.  Anyone else see similar behavior?  Is
there a way to turn this auto-paste behavior off?

Jonathan