mp3 files don't launch right (XMMS and Audio Player)

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 13:56:13 UTC 2005

I'm using FC3 with Gnome, with all updates automatically (using the
yum.conf suggested by fedorafaq.org).

When I double-click on an ogg file, XMMS launches and plays the file.
If I right-click and choose  "audio player" (which I think means
rhythmbox) instead of XMMS, it also launches successfully and plays
the file.

On the other hand, if I try either of the same tasks with an mp3 file,
the apps launch fine but do not begin playing the file. If I then go
to File--Open or File--Play File, I can play the file.

In other words, both players can launch correctly, and both players
can play mp3 files, but neither will launch AND play the file.

Any thoughts? Obviously I can work around this but I'm going through a
lot of digitizing lately and it would be great to fix this.

Thanks,
Matt