SuperMicro 5013

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 22 15:29:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, John Rowan wrote:

> Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, John Rowan wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the lack of a workable RAID with Linux, problems with (primary
>>> application) Pick reporting illegal activation after cold starting the
>>> server and lack of redundant hot swap power supplies has the SuperMicro /
>>> Visionman back in the box waiting for an RMA.    I think it was designed
>>> more as a Windows machine and as an afterthought claimed to run Linux.
>>> Anyone have a suggestion for a quiet, cool running machine, hot swap hard
>>> power supplies and hard drives with hardware RAID (preferably compatible
>>> with RH9 as primary app will not be supported under any release of Fedora
>>> Core)?
>>

>> there is no motherboard I'm aware of with an ata or sata hardware
>> raidcontroller. (I have a couple compaq ml380's with compaq smart array
>> controllers on the motherboard but those are scsi).
>>
>>> The budget allows for only $1,400 US.
>>

>> serial-ata is not well supported in redhat-9. rhel-3 actually has quite
>> good serial-ata support for something still built on the 2.4kernel.
>>

> I like SCSI, all my servers run SCSI, this was my first exposure to SATA.

Almost all our new boxes are sata, between promsise sata 150 tx8
controllers (non-raid sata), 12 port 3ware 9500s, and fibre-channel-sata
raid enclosures, there's a continium of connection options now, and the
disks are denser and cheaper.

> How is the noise level with the ML380?  I am currently working with Proliant

the ml380 is quiter than the dl380, they're both pretty lound

> (old) 5000R, 6400R, 6500R and DL760 units and the noise from the fans is too
> much to ask someone to have in a small office environment.

I generally try and avoid sharing space with the servers except when I'm
initially building them.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu