SuperMicro 5013

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Aug 22 17:04:12 UTC 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 11:34 am, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Mon August 22 2005 1:47 am, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> >> there is no motherboard I'm aware of with an ata or sata hardware
> >> raidcontroller. (I have a couple compaq ml380's with compaq smart array
> >> controllers on the motherboard but those are scsi).
> >
> > ASUS P4C800 ?? RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, Multiple RAID, built in, but
> > maybe that's not what you're talking about - I sort of came late to this
> > conversation but I was struck by the above statement, since I currently
> > have 4 systems using this motherboard. None of them run Linux, and none
> > of them are using the on-board SATA RAID controller, so my knowledge is
> > limited.
>
> the promise 20378 isn't a hardware raid controller.

Great thread! This whole discussion has answered questions I'd had, but hadn't
spent time answering, for years. The questions were of the want-to-know
variety, as opposed to need-to-know; now that I've read all these posts and
looked at the links, I find there really was some need-to-know in there.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA